Manufacturer / Catalog No.
Rattlesnake  /  RS 085/86 

Released:
Quality:
7 stars
Bob's Boots ref  #
BB-t55

Collector comments:
This is a great sounding audience recording.  I think it deserves 8 stars (at least). Rob Campbell
Review:
This is an incredible package, aesthetically. The photos of a 37 year old rocker in heavy mascara are powerful. The cover photo looks even better silk screened onto the CDs. The title comes from a line of  Señor. A booklet with more photos and tour information is enclosed. The digitally remastered stereo audience tape is as clear as any of the 1978 tapes. The soundboard tapes were well protected in anticipation of a live album release. Some of the audience tapes that float around are noisy and buried. In this one, the audience is rude, and talking constantly. This is partly the reason for a lower star rating. Suffering the worst is the two quiet, acoustic songs: Laissez-Faire and Hard Rain. However, the vocals are well above the music throughout the recording, and full of power. They are never compromised. Perhaps lost on the audience is the irony of this Jewish war-baby singing in the city of the trials. It's not lost on Bob, however. He introduces Masters Of War with: "It gives me a great pleasure to sing it in this place.", and spits out the final line with a vengeance. Another rare song intro comes at All Along The Watchtower. Bob says "I want to dedicate it to the late, great, Jimi Hendrix." This tour was heavily produced, and changed little from city to city. If you like the new, funky arrangements of Bob Dylan At Budokan (recorded four months earlier), then you'll enjoy hearing how the songs were actually presented to the audience. Just don't expect the untouchable quality of that official release. The songs that work best are the two from the newly recorded Street Legal. As an added bonus, Eric Clapton joins Bob on stage, and plays on the show's final two song encore.
© 2002 Craig Pinkerton Bobsboots.com
© 2002 Craig Pinkerton - Site by eve, Incorporated