Thoughts on Henry Mancini (Never ending covers)
source: Various live cover tunes
My head's in Mississippi - Oxford MI 10/25/90
(Gibbons/ Hill / Beard)
And it stoned me - Rochester MI 7/6/89
Homeward bound - Lunsbruck, Austria 6/4/91
Poncho and Lefty - Cava Dei Terreni, Italy 6/21/89
(Townes Van Zandt)
Nowhere Man - Edmonton, Alberta 8/12/90
Hey good looking-Tuscaloosa, Alabama 10/26/90
Friend of the devil - Dayton, Ohio 11/9/91
Tupelo honey revisited -Belfast, 2/6/91
(Van Morrison-vocals) (Morrison)
The harder they come-Bonner Springs, KS 8/22/89 (Jimmy Cliff)
Sittin' on the dock of the bay -George,
Washington 8/18/90 (Otis Redding)
Moon River Merriville, IN. 8/27/90
(Henry Mancini/ Johnny Mercer)
1) 5 stars, throughout 6-7, but a 10-sec. dropout after 1 minute makes it worse.
2) 4-5 stars, wow & flutter, tape hiss, dropouts; bob doesn't treat the song too well...
3) 6-7 stars , dry and compact sound, although cd "olympic pleasure sounds" far far better.
4) 7-8 stars, full sound/frequency range, close & dry; catching performance, 2 little harp solos
5) 6-7 stars, distant, some distortions due to over peak recording levels (??)
1) 4-5 stars, dropouts, very distant, bassy, crowd noises; a bit uninspired .
2) 4-5 stars, distant, bassy, flaw, wows like a 5th generation tape - was it the first performance of that song? He plays a nice guitar...
3) 5 stars , flaw, bassy Bob introduces the song as .."my favorite honey...", huge crowd response (i.e. NOISE) as van steps up; he takes it away..
4) 6 stars, crisp sound, sharp tone
5) 7 stars good sound, crowd noises; soulful performance
© 1999 Craig Pinkerton Bobsboots.com